POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: povray and depth of field : Re: povray and depth of field Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray and depth of field
From: Bob H
Date: 29 Jan 2001 06:55:26
Message: <3a755a2e@news.povray.org>
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:39:49 -0600 Maan M. Hamze wrote in p.programming:
>
> >Although the value of keyword Aperture in povray is random and is not
> >related to
> >f-stops (I wish it was), is there any rough correlation that one can draw
> >between povray keyword Aperture on one hand, and a camera actual focal
> >length and f-stops on the other hand?

There must be, if only a "rough" estimation anyway.  Just a guess, but I think
the focal blur in POV-Ray is only linear.  I don't know.
Render a simply test scene based on a real life photo and I think you'd get a
correlation with some math involved.  Think the main difference is that f-stops
aren't linear to the focus.

Bob H.